Monday, December 28, 2009

Droid with Clear Armor Applied

(click photo to enlarge)

Here is a photo showing my Droid (left) with Clear Armor applied, and my wife's Droid without it. Both are set to 100% Brightness and I tried to take the photo centered and head-on for an accurate comparison.

I could see no appreciable degradation of the image on the covered Droid screen. Certainly nothing when comparing the protection it offers against the inevitable wear that would otherwise be showing up after months of use.

In addition, I believe the Clear Armor adds contrast to the image. Notice the ghost image of the word "Google" at the top in the search box? It stands out more on the screen with the Clear Armor.

I've also noticed that the Clear Armor gives the shell of the Droid a blacker, shinier appearance; though this doesn't seem to make the surface slippery and, thus, preserves the "grip" which is present with the rubberized shell in its original state.

Now, you will initially notice a difference in the feel of running your finger over the screen, scrolling though options and web pages. There is definitely a detectable drag with the Clear Armor shields. The unprotected screen has a silky glass feel. The protected screen, well, doesn't. This is most pronounced for me writing this, because I am able to feel the two side by side.

In reality, the protected screen is perfectly functional and I will not have any issue with the slightly different feel. It's not like it's sticky, it's just not perfectly silky. Really not an issue. You will find yourself not having to wipe the screen of fingerprints and smears nearly as often with the protected screen, a definite plus.

I read on a blog where someone said they applied Clear Armor to their Droid and it prevented it from powering up. I have no idea why, but mine is just fine. Now, there is a tiny piece of Clear Armor that could be applied over the power button, and that could affect it. I just didn't apply that tiny piece. Not an issue.

I was also impressed with the price: $19.95 got me two sets of shields. Now that I have made the comparisons, I will be applying the shields to my wife's Droid to preserve it's flawless finish. I figured I would do mine first, as to be practiced to get hers perfect. Which leads me to another point. Don't do your screen first. Practice on the back first, where it doesn't make as much difference.

Be liberal with spraying your hands and the adhesive side of the pieces with the provided spray while handling and applying. This will prevent fingerprints from setting into the adhesive - definitely not attractive, looking at that every time you power up. The spray is water and baby shampoo from the factory. It will not last more than about 2-4 pieces. Refill it with water and continue.

You will need to be patient when applying the pieces that fold over edges and corners. Until the spray starts to dry, it won't become tacky again. Keep holding and working these into place - the adhesive will eventually take hold nicely.

So, as you may have gathered, I am quite impressed with this product and highly recommend it: A+. ~Jack

No comments:

Post a Comment